8 Steps to Find the Best ATV to Suit Your Needs
Although finding the best ATV for you can be difficult, we make it easier with this guide.
All-terrain vehicles, better known as ATV’s, offer up many fun and adventurous times. They can be used on the road, off the road, and everywhere in between.
Whether exploring new areas, taking an easy ride to a neighbor’s house, or racing with your friends – you definitely can’t get bored on an ATV.
Finding the Best ATV
While they can be driven by just about anyone in the family, it is important that you choose the right type to meet your needs and abilities.
There are many different ATV’s on the market so finding the best one can be a bit confusing.
Which type is right for you? What size engine do you need? Should you choose automatic or manual transmission? Do you need electronic power steering? These are all questions you must consider before purchasing your dream ATV.
To offer you some guidance, here are 8 steps that will lead you the best ATV to suit your needs.
Step 1. Know the Different Types of ATV’s Available.
If you don’t know the different types of all terrain vehicles, it is next to impossible to make any further decisions.
So, educate yourself on the types of ATV’s available before you go any further.
- Youth models: These are mostly designed for kids and smaller teenagers. They are smaller in size and easier to handle. There are additional safety measures that come with this type of ATV, too.
- Entry-level ATVs: These are designed for a more casual, recreational adult use.
- Utility ATVs: These are rugged, working ATVs. Often used in rugged conditions by those in the agricultural business or even law enforcement. These seem to be the most popular ATVs on the market.
- Sport ATVs: The second most popular, these ATVs offer a lot of fun. They are good for fast speeds, sharp turns, jumps, and so much more.
- High-Performance ATVs: If you are looking for something that can do it all and that comes in at the top of the line, this is your type of ATV.
Step 2. Know How You Plan to Use It.
As you can tell by the types of ATVs available, knowing which one is the best for you will be determined by what you plan to do with it.
For example, purchasing an ATV such as an entry-level ATV and then trying to race it in rough terrain with your friends may not end up so well.
On the contrary, purchasing a high-performance ATV as a beginner may give you too many options and too much power, causing a scary first ride.
To find the best ATV for you, consider the different uses of your ATV. First determine how you will use it:
Know what you really intend to do with your ATV and make a smart choice.
Step 3. Discover the Proper Engine Size for You.
The engine of your ATV will determine just how much get-up-and-go power it has.
For someone who is a novice, having too much power can be dangerous. However, someone with a lot of experience could find a smaller engine a waste of time.
Be honest about your ability and choose an engine that will best fit your needs.
Here is a general guide to the range of engine sizes found in ATVs.
- 70cc and lower: this is good for children younger than 11 years old.
- 70cc to about 90cc: this is a good size for young teenagers.
- 90cc to 250cc: these should be considered by older teenagers and adults. Beginners should stick to the lower end.
- Anything above 250cc: is suggested for intermediate and advanced riders.
Step 4. Choose Between Automatic and Manual Transmission.
Just as with a car or motorcycle, automatic transmissions take care of all the work for you. Choosing an ATV with an automatic transmission means that you can focus on everything else to ensure your safety without having to focus on changing gears.
- Manual transmissions on an ATV require the use of a clutch. And, at the same time, the throttle and shift lever. They do allow you to have more control over the vehicle and can give you more power when you need it. However, it can get a bit tricky for those who are inexperienced, especially when traveling on rough terrain.
- Automatic transmissions are often found on youth, beginner, and utility models, while manual transmissions are more popular on sports models.
Step 5. Learn the Difference Between Chain Driven and Shaft Driven ATVs.
Knowing the difference between chain and shaft driven can save you time when you are ready to purchase your ATV.
- Chain driven means that the ATV will be lighter and will use less engine power. This type will have exposed chains that will require maintenance to keep them dry, clean, lubricated, and replaced when necessary. But, initially, they are typically cheaper.
- Shaft driven ATVs offer an enclosed system that doesn’t require as much maintenance. However, they are heavier and take more engine power to run.
Step 6. Choose Between Two-Wheel or Four-Wheel Drive.
Your answer to this step will be determined by what you intend to do with your ATV. Just know that four-wheel drive ATVs allows you to more easily get through rough terrain, including those that are muddy and steep. They also make it easier to pull heavier loads.
If you are just seeking an ATV for pleasure riding, then a two-wheel drive ATV may suffice. Otherwise, a four-wheel drive ATV should be your way to go.
Step 7. Determine Whether You Need Electronic Power Steering.
To determine the best ATV for your needs, you will want to ask yourself how long you will be riding your ATV in a day. This will help you determine if you need electronic power steering or not.
- Electronic power steering is definitely not a standard feature on any ATV. These rugged vehicles are meant to provide such fluffy options.
- Without the electronic power steering, though, you will be using your arms at great length. If you intend to take long trips or if your arms are just not interested in doing the work, you can purchase this add-on option.
Step 8. Know Your Budget.
Last but not least, knowing your budget is incredibly important. After all, you can know what you want, but if it doesn’t fit your budget, then it won’t work.
Most smaller ATVs start just under $500.00 and go up from there.
Know what you can afford and find the best ATV for your needs – and your wallet.
Taking the steps to purchase the best ATV that meets your need and ability can give you a safe way to have a fun time.
Do you still have questions? Contact us today to learn more!